Friday, December 21, 2012

Sherry Mushroom Cream Sauce *Yum!*

I promised that I would share some recipes here so that's what I am going to do today. I slightly modified last nights dinner menu. It was raining cats and dogs here so rather then tossing the pork chops on our outdoor gas grill, I elected to use our trusty ol' electric indoor table top grill (the knock-off-george) instead. I always prefer things cooked on the gas grill but when I'm not willing to get soaked, I'm just as happy using the electric one. I also opted to saute some fresh turnip greens and forgo the sauerkraut. I really love sauerkraut with pork but I picked up a bag of already washed/trimmed fresh turnip greens and I just couldn't resist! I did however, make the sherry mushroom cream sauce to top the pork chops. I have decided I am going to share that recipe. I am not sure if I can really call this an "original" recipe because I find it doubtful that someone out there hasn't already done this but I can say that this was thrown together in my kitchen on a whim, without any prior knowledge of similar recipes!

Things you will need:
  • Sherry Cooking Wine 2tbsp for a strong sherry flavor, one for a milder flavor
  • Heavy Whipping Cream 1/2C (or 8 tbsp) 
  • Mushrooms - if you like a "chunky" sauce, use more mushrooms - for a "saucier" sauce, use less. That easy! I used 2 large mushrooms (the kind you can buy out of the bulk bin at the grocery store)
  • 2 Tbsp Butter
Start by rough chopping your mushrooms. I like mine to still be "meaty" so I don't chop them very fine but this can be altered depending on personal preference. While I am chopping my 'shrooms I am melting the butter in a non-stick (very important!!) saute pan. Add 'shrooms to pan. Cook until browned just a bit and just tender.


Add the sherry. *This is when your kitchen will start to smell FABULOUS!!* Cook for another minute or so then slowly whisk in the heavy whipping cream. Once the cream is entirely incorporated, set your burner to low and let it reduce.



Continue to stir and cook until it reaches desired consistency (the more it reduces, the thicker it will get)


Once it reaches desired consistency, remove from burner and use it top meat of your choice!


Here's the carb breakdown for the entire recipe:

Sherry Cooking Wine - 2g/2Tbsp
Heavy Whipping Cream - 3.3g/per 1/2C
Mushrooms - 1g (actually it is less but I always count them as 1g anyway)
Butter - 0g

Total for the Sauce: 6.3g and it makes about 2 servings (maybe 3 if you don't like quite as much as I do!) so that works out to be just a smidge over 3g per person   ^_^

This happens to be my favorite sauce because I love mushrooms and I love Sherry so the combo just works for me but I do make other cream based sauces that I think are extremely tasty too. I will share some of those in future posts!






1 comment: