Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pardon the Dust!

I am still in the process of trying to get this blog set up and organized, my apologies for the disorganization! I am very fortunate to have a very artistic, blog-savvy sister to help me out. I could have never set this thing up so nicely on my own. If you like my graphics you should hop on over to her blog, Faery Ink and check out all the goodies she creates and sells.

Now on to the good low-carb chatter! :)  I was first introduced to the low-carb lifestyle nearly a decade ago. At the time, I weighed around 300+lbs. I had already attempted numerous calorie-restriction diets but found them extremely difficult to adhere to. I was hungry and miserable all of the time so my attempts were usually short lived, ending in complete and total failure. I had never heard much about low-carb diets at the time. That all changed for me one day while I was browsing the book section at the Goodwill. I found a copy of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. Now, at this time in my life I had sort of made a habit out of collecting various dieting books. I believe I actually picked up a few others that day as well. I am not sure why I chose to read the Atkins book first but I am very grateful that I did. It really changed my life. I started Atkins induction (which is the first phase of his diet) about 3 days after bringing that book home. Within the first six months, I had lost nearly half of my weight. Unfortunately, I didn't commit myself to the long term lifestyle change that was required to maintain my loss. From that point on, I had an on again/off again relationship with low-carbing that resulted in cycles of weight gain and loss. I never reached my maximum weight again (I was lucky) but I was also not able to maintain my maximum losses either. This is because I refused to commit myself to a new lifestyle.

If there is anything that I have learned over this past decade, it is that everyone that has ever preached to me about lifestyle change, was 100% correct. Low-Carbing cannot just be a 'diet' if you expect to maintain your losses. In September of this year, I decided that I was finally ready to make that commitment. I have held strong ever since and I am down  another 40lbs since then and still losing!

I am hoping to utilize this blog as a place to share some of my knowledge, tips and tricks to help others who may be ready to make this journey themselves. So, if you're up for it, pack a bag and come travel with me!





2 comments:

  1. Welcome to blog land.. You know as a compulsive yoyo dieter and also my lack of discipline it's nice to know I am not alone. Congrats on the weightloss so far. You look so much more alive and healthy in the new picture. Stick with it and keep up the good work you have already done. And try not to be to hard on yourself when you are "off again" xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Paula! This blog stuff is tricky at first! I can relate very much to the yo-yo dieting. When I think back on my life, I think I have been on a "diet" for the better part of it and yet I still have a weight problem. Eek! I love your blog!! That smash book is just lovely and I always adore seeing my talented sissy poo's artwork all over the place :)

      Delete