Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Low Carb Pizza

Who DOESN'T love pizza!? Pizza is admittedly one of the foods I missed the most when I first changed my diet. I tried lots of pizza "casseroles" and even tried my hand at a few different kinds of low-carb "crust" but I was never really happy with the results. I wanted a piece of pizza that I could PICK UP and eat that didn't contain soy (PCOS and soy are a bad combo!) I only recently discovered a low carb tortilla that I actually LIKE and today for lunch I thought I'd see how it would hold up as a pizza crust! I was VERY pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out! They are still a bit high in carbs (10.5g) but if you are craving pizza and have the carbs to spare, these are awesome! If you want to give these a try, this is what you will need:

2 TBSP Pizza Sauce (the lowest carb that you can find - check your labels)
2 Sausage Links (Cooked and sliced)
1 TBSP Chopped Green Pepper
1 Thin Slice Small Red Onion, Chopped
7 Pepperoni Slices
4oz Shredded Cheese
1 Large (Burrito size) Low Carb Tortilla

You will want to start by baking your tortilla - I did this in a 400 degree oven for about 12-15 minutes. I baked mine on a cookie sheet.

While your tortilla is baking, you want to saute your peppers, onions and sausage together until the peppers and onions are tender. I did this in my tiny little egg size cast iron frying pan. You could really change these toppings up to whatever pizza toppings you prefer but I just happened to have some leftover cooked sausage links in the fridge.



You want your "crust" to be crisp and hold its shape. When the tortilla is good and sturdy, remove it from the oven. It's time to sauce it! The 2TBSP of sauce is really plenty for a tortilla this size. You want to leave an edge space all the way around your "crust".





Once you have your tortilla sauced it is time to start adding your toppings! I added most of my cheese then the peppers/onions/sausage and then the last bit of cheese. I topped this with my pepperoni slices. I then popped this baby back into the oven, under the broiler for just a few minutes.



Your "crust" should be nice and browned and all of your cheese should be melted. Let it cool for just a minute and then it can be cut into slices with a pizza cutter.




These slices can be picked up and eaten with your hands!  No forks needed!!

Here's the Carb Breakdown:

Tortilla (6g)
Sauce (1.5g)
Green Peppers (0.5g)
Onions (1g)
Cheese (1.5g)
Pepperoni (0g)

Total Carbs: 10.5g/net  *Yum*


****Update**** I later tried this same technique using a Fit&Active LC Flat Bread that I purchased at Aldi. The flat bread was even better, it was slightly thicker then the tortilla and it crisped up really well but the flat bread is 7g vs 6g for the tortilla. In order to counter that I made a philly cheesestak version using ranch dressing in place of the pizza sauce - PHENOMENAL.


No comments:

Post a Comment